Re: arse tap / "Athena"

At 17:53 7/13/97, The Who Mailing List Digest wrote:
>Date: Sat, 12 Jul 1997 02:32:59 -0400 (EDT)
>From: niki@flinet.com (Niki Bennett)
>Subject: arse tap
>
>Watch the beginning of Spinal Tap where "Marti di Bergi"
>>(or whatever) talks about Spinal Tap as being "Britain's loudest rock
>>group".  This is NOT a compliment.
>
>No,it's a fact, Phil.

What's a fact?  That "Marti di Bergi" (or whatever) talks about ST being
"Britain's loudest group"?

>But did you know Spinal Tap was not a real band?

You must think we're a bunch of complete morons.  FWIW, did _you_ know that
they actually performed from time to time, at least once being in the Royal
Albert Hall?

>Date: Sun, 13 Jul 1997 19:43:26 -0400 (EDT)
>From: Jennifer Lee Davies <jen@nt.net>
>Subject: "Athena"
>
>        I was for the first time listening to the lyrics (not for the
>"whore" vs "bomb" debate), and the reference to the Tommy movie just about
>killed me!  It's priceless!
>        (For those who don't know what I mean, it's something about in a
>dream seeing a huge snake in a ribcage.)

(paraphrasing from memory):"...white horse I saw in a dream stage/He had a
snake the size of a sewer pipe living in his rib cage."  I thought of the
image from Tommy when I heard first heard Athena, but I don't think it's
really a reference to the Tommy movie so much as a recurrent image in
Pete's thinking which he chose to include in both those works.  The horse
with a snake inside it is also mentioned in _Horse's Neck_, although I'm
too lame to look up the page number.

Alan

"When I'm on stage, it's not like bein' possessed...it's just...*I* *do*
*my* *job*."                 - Pete Townshend