Re: Pete's Chords

>Lucas Bleicher :

>Lucas,
>PT played power chords which means his chords are made with the root
>and the 5th. By example, an E Major becomes a power chord if you
>suppress the third (G sharp).
>It's then noted as E5
>To show you what I mean, here is a diagram ( / is a fret, o a finger,
>x don't fret these strings)
(...)
>It's the third which give the minor or major character af a chord.
>By suppressing it, the chord becomes ambiguous, neither minor nor
>major. If you play them , you get a straight and agressive sound,
>which is not smoothed by the third.
>These chords are the essence of rock guitar sound.
>One of the most famous, is the Smoke on the water riff.
>You'll find also a lot of power chords with Metallica.

Yeah, I know about power chords (and in fact chords with thirds won't
sound good with distortion), but I was talking about how he play most
chords with the hands near the nut (which make the strings ring more
than playing the chords on frets near the body), rarely using barres. I
don't know how could I play a Eb without using a barre.

>Just take a look on tabs of the Who on http://www.olga.net
>or on http://www.thewho.net to find more examples

>BTW, I don't think that Can't explain was played with power chords.
>If you listen to the tune (on Who's better) it's clear that the >chords
are the classical way, played on the first position (frets >1,2,3). When
I saw the Who in 1972, PT played that way.
>But when I saw them in may 97, on Can't Explain, he played =
>the E on the 7th fret., D on the 5th, A on the 5th

But for example, on Leeds and Isle Of Wight, how does he play the
chords?

Thankya,
Lucas Bleicher

Get Private Web-Based Email Free http://www.hotmail.com