Re: Albert Speer

Beau, re:

>> -- check out
>>"I'll Never Know War" which has one delicious line...(OK I'll paraphrase and
>>get the date wrong, but check out the wonderful line about the end of the
>>Nazis, playing off of the word "defeated....(then..next line).........and
>>ALBERT SPEER was deleted."

How could you forget the date - it was Pete's birthday!

I.S., re:

>> Actually,Pete Townshend may have gone a bit overboard by describing Albert
Speer as "deleted".After Albert Speer was released from prison (his sentence
resulting from the Nuremburg war trials),he actually went on to be a very
successful author with his book "Inside The Third Reich".He was also much in
demand for interviews and lectures,and I think he may have authored a second
book as well.So ironically,Albert Speer was one of the few (if not the only)
high-ranking Nazi do do well for himself when the war was over.<<

Albert Speer died about the time that "I've Known No War" was written (1981, I
think), which may be why he was used in the lyric.  Just my guess...

JGraham