Jeff's Blues, The Who in 1975

> Come on people...this list is nothing close to what I expected it to
> be.  Maybe I'm not looking close enough but it seems like all I see is
> constant bitching

Jeff:

Well, Jeff...to answer your questions: these things you mention HAVE
been discussed, and a lot of other subjects as well. And they will be
discussed again; the way to get them discussed is to bring them up as a
topic rather than noticing the lack thereof. But you can't expect any
group of people to stay interested in the same finite set of subjects
for any length of time...in my case, I've been on this list for about 2
years. Others have been here longer.
So the discussions begin to wander...it's only natural.

> Where's all of the old dudes rattling on about
> that show they went to in '68, or the first time they played Baba on the
> radio?

Alright, as an "old dude" I'll start you out by sharing a story that's
been posted to this list at least twice before:

I first saw The Who was in 1975, Greensboro NC. Early November, I
believe. The opening band was Toots & The Mayalls, a band I could have
done without seeing for the rest of my natural life. But eventually it
was TIME...finally I was going to see my favorite band...
The stage was totally dark. A spotlight came on, catching Pete Townshend
in mid-air. He hit the stage and the first chord of I Can't Explain at
the same moment...the lights went up, John and Keith thundered into the
song, but there was no singer as yet. Roger ran out from the back as if
he wasn't going to stop at the edge, grabbed the mike, sang the first
bit, threw the mike into the air, turned to Moon and said something,
turned again to catch the mike without looking up...and sang the next
part.
Thirty seconds into the show, and I was already blown away.
The rest of the show was equally notable.

OK?

- --

            Cheers                ML

 "It's more than a looking back...it's a bringing up to date.
  Quadrophenia is about where we're all at today...maybe you too,
  I don't know..."
            Pete Townshend