Re: WGFA, QUAD, ICRY, LMLOTD, and other completely random acronyms

Jeff Brown wrote:

> Come on people...this list is nothing close to what I expected it to
> be.  Maybe I'm not looking close enough but it seems like all I see is
> constant bitching about misspellings and Jimi/Jimmy, Beatles, and Who's
> better, who's best...  If I wanted to hear all that I would have joined
> PissAndMoan@igtc.com.  Where's all of the old dudes rattling on about
> that show they went to in '68, or the first time they played Baba on the
> radio?  What it was like when Keith Moon died or that time Pete fucked
> up on live tv.

I didn't get to see the Who live while Keith was alive.  He was my hero,
just the same.  The first few years listening to the Who, beginning when
I was in high school in the mid-seventies, I never ehard tunes -- just
drums.  When I heard he dies, I was driving around the hills near here
with a friend, drinking beer, listening to the radio.  We stayed up and
listened to Who Are You as a memorial, and later drank brandy every year
near his birthday.

Later, I came to appreciate Pete's songwriting.  Then I went into a
phase of hearing nothing but John's bass.

I finally saw them live in Lexington, Kentucky in 1980, and then two
years later in Louisville, near the end of the Kenny Jones era.  I
remain inspired by the music and the story of the music, by the fighting
and partying, by Pete's way with words, by John's stoic and often
cynical detachment, by Rog's ability to belt it out after all these
years, and by the memory of Keith's absolute and unparalleled talent AND
lunacy.  You can say you want to die before you get old, but if you
don't, what happens then?  Pete continues to show us, and not always
what we want to be shown.

Screw it ... I'm only 37.

Later

Roger A. Baylor