Zappa, Pete, & the pair of `em

> I think Zappa was an
> absolute genius, and I agree with you totally

Phil:

I agree with your agreement. Uh, wait a minute...

> This in English characteristic, called self deprecation.  Even if PT
> thought he was a better guitarist than Hendrix, he'd never _say_ it.

"I'm NOT the messiah! "Only the true messiah would deny that he is the
messiah." "What sort of chance does that give me? OK, then I AM the
messiah!" The Messiah! The MESSIAH!"
                     Brian and the crowd, Life Of Brian

To me, it's not Townshend's legendary rhythm guitar-playing that
impresses, but his songwriting.

> I agree that Zappa was hilarious and an amazing satirist.  His songs are
> excellent, but I feel lack the depth of Townshend's.  "Joe's Garage" as a
> whole I feel may have equalled Townshend's work in its message, but the
> individual songs don't reach Pete's level.

BCohen:

Yes, well...few if any are on Pete's level (IMHO). Ray Davies, perhaps.
If Dylan's music was as good as his lyrics, then he would definitely be
in the running (probably running ahead, actually).
I'd say there are a few Zappa songs on Pete's level...The Meek Shall
Inherit Nothing leaps to mind, and Who Needs The Peace Corp. Most of the
BROADWAY THE HARD WAY album. It's hard to judge these things, as Pete
was a much more serious "messenger" than Frank. When Pete wrote humor
(humour), he selected lighter topics. He was more apt to write about his
personal failings and feelings, rather than the failings we all share
(as Zappa did).
I would have to say that Zappa was the more serious musician, though. He
explored the limits of music far more than any artist I can think of.
Pete always seemed torn between Rock as an art form or mere teen
entertainment. He stated once that "Rock could save the world," yet also
advised us to dance our troubles away. Advice that recalls (to my mind,
at least) Lennon's statement that if all the world leaders stayed in bed
for a day they might get used to the peace. Idealistic and whimsical,
but hardly the stuff of world-saving.

- --

            Cheers                ML

 "It's more than a looking back...it's a bringing up to date.
  Quadrophenia is about where we're all at today...maybe you too,
  I don't know..."
            Pete Townshend