She's A Bomb...

The Who Mailing List Digest wrote

> Quite sure.  It really is "bomb".  Really.  Even *I* wouldn't kid you
> about this, Who lyrics are serious business.
>
> >To my ears I always thought it was whore.  Don't mean to
> >offend but that's what I always assumed the lyric was.
>
> I doubt you offended anyone, since to the best of my knowledge that's
> what EVERYONE initially thinks they're singing. :)  I've seen people
> joke about it on this list before, so I know that you and I weren't
> the only ones.  But once you know it's "bomb" you can listen to the
> song and hear the "bomb" quite clearly.

  When that song first came out, and was played on the radio alot,
  a friend of mine had told me that Athena was a name given to one
  one the H-Bombs that were dropped on Japan in WW2(the big one)...
  Thus, Pete saying "she's a bomb!"...and considering the line
  "Look into the face of a child, measure how long he smiles to the
   memory fades.."....it made me think for a while "hmmmm...maybe.."

   But these day's I tend to think more that "Athena" being a blonde
   ("you got me requisitioned blondie!"), I put "blonde" with the
   term "blonde bombshell" and therefore take "bomb" as a compliment
   to the person "Athena" to which Pete had in his mind when writing.

    Just my opinion though..:)