Re: "Athena" lyrics

Hi Beau!

>I was listening to Athena over the weekend and was wondering
>if I could revisit the discussion a bit about lyrics.  It
>was discussed on this list that the word in the phrase
>'She's just a girl, she's a ____' is bomb.  Are you sure?

Quite sure.  It really is "bomb".  Really.  Even *I* wouldn't kid you
about this, Who lyrics are serious business.

>To my ears I always thought it was whore.  Don't mean to
>offend but that's what I always assumed the lyric was.

I doubt you offended anyone, since to the best of my knowledge that's
what EVERYONE initially thinks they're singing. :)  I've seen people
joke about it on this list before, so I know that you and I weren't
the only ones.  But once you know it's "bomb" you can listen to the
song and hear the "bomb" quite clearly.

>And to my since or reasoning (or lack thereof) it kinda goes
>with the jist of what the songs about.

Actually, if you're willing to look at "Athena" as more than just a
straightforward love song (and since when does Pete write
straightforward love songs anyway?), it makes MORE sense with the
word being "bomb" than it does with "whore".  But this gets into that
murky territory of song interpretation, which I always felt was
really an individual thing.  (On a similar and yet completely
unrelated note, I think the song "Broken Nails" is about a record.
What do ya'll think?)

>Perhaps after listening to this song over all the years I'm simply
>ingrained to hear it that way but that's why I'd like to ask:
>- - Does anyone know if the lyrics have been officially published
>somewhere so I can look them up, or perhaps someone might
>have them handy and

I think the LP of "It's Hard" comes with all the lyrics, but as I
don't own it myself I can't be sure.  The only place I've ever seen
the complete lyrics to "Athena" was on the Hypertext Who webpage.

>- - Even though they may have been officially published as bomb
>  could the lyric be different for the recording, it's happened
>  before?

Possible, but I myself am pretty sure it's "bomb".  Like I said, once
you know that's what it is you can hear it distinctly.  Give it a try
and hear for yourself.

- -Yellow "A Girl and Her Cat" Ledbeter