Re: The Who Mailing List Digest V4 #25

A few things . . .

We seem to have reached a consensus that Pete probably can read music to some
degree, but that he most likely doesn't do it note for note.  I agree with
everyone who suggests that they were chord boxes, because that's harder in
some ways than solos which can be improvised.

A second thought . . . he must be able to write something down so Bondrick
knew what to play.  HE certainly has music--if you doubt it, look at the
video of the Hyde Park show.

The book I had mentioned in the previous mailing was "MY GENERATION"
A History in Music and Photogrpahs, Introduction and Notes on the Songs
by Pete Townshend.  It's 1988, Amsco Publishing.  It includes not only
Pete songs, but a bunch of them by Daltrey, Entwistle, Moon . . . including
"Cobwebs and Strange."  There are some great pics of the group, especially
Pete, who is in a series of shots destroying a poor guitar.  In the notes to
Substitute (hand writen notes), he says box diagrams are the only things he
can ever understand.

Finally, in response to the masturbation suggestion last mailing, Pete has
often commented that Pics of Lily is not really about masturbation, so much
as the longing for someone you can't ever have and staring at the pictures
so much you fall in love with it--I guess in a sort of Pygmalion-ish way.
But it's what you take the song as. . .

I think the only way for us to settle whether Pete can read music is for
someone to ask HIM . . . or John or Roger . . .

G'night all.