re:Kenny and Keith

Quiet One, re:
Do you compare early Kenny to any of Keith's work?

Certainly not; not unless I want my opinion never to be taken seriously
again! :)  I would not compare anyone's drumming to Keith's, because his
drumming style is so original there would be few points of comparison.
I will, however, say this of early Kenny:  he was more than just a
timekeeper; in fact, much of the time (on the Small Faces' first album),
he was a LOUSY timekeeper.  But he could provide some real excitement
(listen to "Come on Children"  or "E too D").  You may well be aware of
this; but many Who fans, especially in the U.S. (where the Small
Faces/Faces are known, if at all, only for "Itchycoo Park" and "Stay
with Me"), never acknowledge this.

I understand your opinion a little more fully now. But compared to Moon,
most rock drummers are merely "timekeepers" (those who aren't vainly
aping Keith, that is).  Pete may have used Keith's death as an excuse to
move the Who in a more pop direction, but I'm not sure he changed his
writing style all THAT much.  After all, his songs on "Rough Mix" are
every bit as "pop" as those on Face Dances, and that album was recorded
a year and a half BEFORE Keith's death.  Is it possible, then, that Pete
didn't start writing songs around Kenny so much as stop writing songs
around Keith?

Just a thought.  But your opinion makes a lot more sense to me now.

Brian