Re: The Who Mailing List Digest V4 #8

inspired by a recent commentary on Keith Moon in yesterday's edition I feel
it necessary to divulge a quick blurb on the Who's much maligned and
overlooked singer, the incredible Roger Daltrey.
I personally love Roger Daltrey. He is one of the best rock singers in
history and yet people seem to think him an almost disposable member of the
band. However looking back over the band's long and glorious career it
becomes evident that he was more thn just a lead singer. He was a driving
force behind the band. It was he who (tee hee) sacked the band's lead singer
when they were known as the Detours and encouraged Pete to write more music.
He also had a major role in prodcuing the film versions of Tommy and
Quadrophenia.
Then there is his much maligned voice. True, Roger doesn't have Pete's smooth
voice. However could you imagine Heaven and Hell without Roger's screaming
vocals? No. The fact of the matter is Roger's raspy voice screeching out "my
generation" is the very energy that propelled the who to stardom.  (remember
no matter how good a live act is the vast majority will only hear the
recorded version.) And as we all know the Who's studio recordings never
matched their live recordings. Compare the album version of My generation to
the one on Live at Leeds. The truth is that of all the violent energy carried
by the who only Roger's loud energetic vocals ever transferred to the studio
with the exception of John's thunderieng basslines at times.