Re: The Who Mailing List Digest V3 #651

Back in 1970, I bought the Tommy song book.  Learned about every song I could
and amazed and bored my friends with acoustic 12 string versions of most of
the album. In the various cover bands I was in (also years ago) I would throw
fits unless we learned one or two Who tunes - which most bar goers never
quite knew how to dance to.  Especially interesting was the Overture.  I
talked this sorta virtuoso friend I knew at the time, who could play piano,
violin and flute, into purchasing one of the first poly note synthesizers at
a considerable cost so we could get that french horn sound from the Overture.
 Needless to say, since he played violin, I  also bullied  him into learning B
aba O'Reily.   The intro to that song drove him nuts, and he soon dropped out
of sight after selling his keyboard at a fraction of  its original cost.

 Of all the bands we ever covered, it was the Who that gave me the most
satisfaction - as well as the most frustration, because it was absolutely
impossible to even halfway replicate the power (and glory) of their live
performances at the time.

I would be very interested in connecting with other awestruck musicians who
have the guts to admit that they too attempted to play Who songs in seedy
little bars and pubs on weekend nights.