Is it music or is it art?

Andrew excellent post.

 I agree with you completely.  I'm not much of a musician (little piano,
little guitar, little singing) but I view the music as art. The co-mingling
of words & notes to create a mood.  That's why I view Pete as one of the
greatest writers ever.  Even when he tried to keep his personal emotions
out of his music you could still see them there and when he just let go it
was beyond greatness.  I believe the reason why there aren't any new
guitarist that stand out is because they just emulate the greatness of the
past.  They don't seem to have the same passion for the instrument or the
music as Townshend, Hendrix, Page & Clapton did.  These men are four of the
greatest leads and thier styles & sounds are so completely different that
you can pick them out of a line up.  They each brought their own
personalities and passions to their music and sometimes it just boggles my
mind that the new players, with as much time as they spent studying the
greats,  just don't realize it.  It just shows me that they are truly
followers & not the leaders they pretend to be.

Your views on TED are in my opinion correct.  Some people like to pigeon
hole bands; "If they can't perform like they did twenty years ago then they
have no right to be on the stage."  I think it's crap.  I compared the
Stones & TED in a past post quite the same way you did but I love your
quote  " the Stones are still horny, grungy men, who play horny grungy
music." ( I hope you don't mind if I steal it from you and use it in future
debates.)  Artists grow and mature (they are human you know) and we should
except and embrace that notion.  What if Pete decided to stop writing after
Sell Out then we wouldn't have Tommy.  If he stopped at Tommy we wouldn't
have Who's Next and so on.  Each album is a progression and shows us Pete's
as well as the Bands growth as people.

 What do you think suspended animation in a plastic bubble or progress?

 And if you want suspended animation in what year would you want them
restored to?

Discussion please