Re: "How Many Friends"

> Date: Wed, 31 Dec 1997 08:36:05 EST
> From: Vigilnte20 <Vigilnte20@aol.com>
> Subject: how many friends
>
> in the song, "how many friends", who is pete talking about in the beginning of
> the song- it sounds like a girl, but then there's the line "he says he likes a
> man who's dressed in the season"- it sounds like a compliment to a man, but it
> sounds like a girl. i'm confused! help mE!!!!
>
> JUD

He's definitely talking about a guy.  I believe the liner notes to WBN
say this part of the song is about a (male) fan who likes Pete a little
more than most of the rest of us (the men, anyway) do.  Apparently,
Pete  thinks he's just met a nice fan who wants to buy him a brandy and
tell Pete how he's changed his past...but could it be he's really just
after Pete's ass?  I don't think there's much ambiguity at this point.

Hope this clears up your confusion.  Have a great New Year!