Re: The Who Mailing List Digest V4 #317

>From: William Sherman -Visualization <wsherman@ncsa.uiuc.edu>
>However,
>I myself have been meaning to ask about Ben.[snip]
>someone here mentioned that he was Simon's son,
>which seems to fit,

True.  Ben is Simon's son...although, to add to the confusion, Simon has
said that Ben is more like a brother, really.

>> >"When She Sleeps:" there's a riff in there that is very Led Zepplin-like.
>> >(though I forget which song -- I don't listen to LZ very much.)
>>
>> The voices in the opening bars are exactly the same as a guitar bit in
>> Stairway to Heaven.
>
>The "vocals"?  or the "voice-box" effect?  If the latter, then yes
>that's what I'm hearing.

I'm not quite sure of the terminology and instruments you're referring to,
but the part from "Stairway" could very well be referred to as a
"voice-box".  It's really the notes (there are only four) and rhythm, not
the specific instrument, that marks it as the same.  Listen to the first
four notes of the background vocals in When She Sleeps; if you're going to
recognize it, you'll get it right off.

>> You may know that it was inspired by a Christmas visit to Pete's house.
>
>Actually, no.  Please elaborate.

Unfortunately, I've related about all I know with that one sentence.  When
the song was new and Simon was just performing it for the first times in
his shows, he mentioned that as its source.  It adds a lot to my experience
of the song knowing that it is about his feelings for Pete.

>> The opening guitar of "The Way It Is" sounds almost exactly like the
>> opening to Don Henley's "The End of Innocence" _and_ (believe it or else)
>> the opening instrumental to Rod Stewart's cover of "Your Song" on the "Two
>> Rooms" Elton John tribute CD (which you all have due to the "Saturday
>> Night's Alright" cover by our guys).
>
>Actually, no, I have the single with just the "SNA" cover.

I was a bit tongue-in-cheek with that, but I do recommend getting the "Two
Rooms" CD.  There are some klunkers, but out of 10 or 12 covers you're
alomst bound to find a couple you like.  Our guys "SNA", which kicks
ass...and I notice that, in the great breaking-the-rules tradition, Pete
tosses in a bit of "Take me to the Pilot" which I thik makes that cut the
only one on the album which contains (bits of) two songs.  Among the other
offerings I particularly like Tina Turners' "Bitch is Back".  "Your Song"
is heartbreakingly beautiful for the  eight bars until Rod opens his mouth.

>Date: Thu, 18 Dec 1997 05:05:46 PST
>From: "Lucas Bleicher" <bleicher@hotmail.com>
>Subject: The Ox Homepage
>
>What happened to John Entwistle's Homepage (www.eden.com/~theox)? When I
>type the adress, a directory listing (with no files )is shown instead of
>the main page. What's going on?

An excellent question!  All the files are still there.  I can't see
anything wrong from that angle.  I have sent a message to eden.com's tech
support about it.  I suspect some pointers at their end got deleted but
we'll see.  Thanks for the heads-up!

Alan

"Never never hesitate, communicate, communicate..." --Pete Townshend