Re: Simon Townshend

I hope people won't mind my continuing the recent surge in
posts about Simon.  I've been intending to send more thoughts
since last week, but just haven't gotten to it.  Then I was
inspired to finally post when ...

Last night in Best Buy I saw 10 copies of "Among Us" on
the shelf.  After years of searching for a Simon Townshend CD
in the generic "T" section, I was amazed that he'd have his
own section chock full of disks (I'm assuming because they
just arrived).  So, those who've been putting off getting
a copy of this album because it was only available by mail,
check out your local music shoppes.  Hopefully it won't take
his next effort as much time before it appears.

> Date: Wed, 17 Dec 1997 18:48:41 +0100
> From: "Marco Daretti" <daretti@flashnet.it>
>
> Hi friends,
> I'd like to know this: is Simon Townshend Pete's brother
> or son?
> Thanx and bye!
> Marco  Daretti,   e-mail:  daretti@flashnet.it

This one I can answer -- Younger brother by 12 years.  However,
I myself have been meaning to ask about Ben.  Before seeing
them in NoCA, I had been assuming Ben was the youngest of
four brothers (Pete, Simon, Paul, Ben).  But he sure looked
awfully young to be Simon's brother, much less Pete's.  Shortly
after that someone here mentioned that he was Simon's son,
which seems to fit, but I don't want to rely just on the one
source -- which I can't remember anyway, so don't take it
personally.

> ------------------------------
> Date: Sun, 7 Dec 1997 13:29:13 -0600
> From: Alan McKendree <amck@thenetdr.com>
> Subject: Re: STB Radio Play
>
> >From: William Sherman -Visualization <wsherman@ncsa.uiuc.edu>
>
> >"When She Sleeps:" there's a riff in there that is very Led Zepplin-like.
> >(though I forget which song -- I don't listen to LZ very much.)
>
> The voices in the opening bars are exactly the same as a guitar bit in
> Stairway to Heaven.

The "vocals"?  or the "voice-box" effect?  If the latter, then yes
that's what I'm hearing.

> Here are other quotes I've noticed:
>
> The opening of "Girl in New York" sounds almost exactly like the opening of
> the Beatles' "Dear Prudence".

I may have heard it once, but I don't recall what "Dear Prudence"
sounds like -- most of my Beatles experience is from the Red & Blue
albums, plus "Help!"

> >and parts of "Capture" are reminiscent of Paul McCartney, beleive it or
> >not.

> I just like "Capture" because it's complex and makes me think.  The first
> time I heard it it didn't really grab me, but it was because I couldn't
> tell where it was going.  Upon subsequent hearings I came to love the
> controlled outbursts of major chords and driving rhythms (which _are_, of
> course, traits it has in common with my favorite Who music), and the
> variety of musical themes or sections.  I think it's the most effective
> example of composition on the album.

I'm listening to it now, and you're right.  Though I tend to be
more of a vocally oriented listener (probably due to lack of
ability in playing instruments -- or vice versa).  Prior to this,
by concentrating on what Simon is singing, I didn't notice the
little bits of chaos.

> You may know that it was inspired by a Christmas visit to Pete's house.

Actually, no.  Please elaborate.

> The opening guitar of "The Way It Is" sounds almost exactly like the
> opening to Don Henley's "The End of Innocence" _and_ (believe it or else)
> the opening instrumental to Rod Stewart's cover of "Your Song" on the "Two
> Rooms" Elton John tribute CD (which you all have due to the "Saturday
> Night's Alright" cover by our guys).

Actually, no, I have the single with just the "SNA" cover.

> The parallel is more noticeable when you hear the song with a guitar
> intro, as opposed to the CD where it opens with Simon's voice.

I'll have to check how he played it live.

> >At the risk of being flamed for having a lame story regarding my
> >experiences talking to Simon and Co. at the shows, I was going to
> >relay them anyway,
>
> Post!  Post!

Yes, yes, thanks for the encouragement.  I'll try to get to it
in the next 24 hours.

> Alan
>
> ------------------------------

And finally:

> Date: Mon, 08 Dec 1997 08:16:19 PST
> From: "Kevin Cherry" <kmcherry@hotmail.com>
> Subject: Favorite Who Songs and Bruce Hornsby
>
> Someone mentioned that "The Way It Is" sounds like "The End of the
> Innocence" -- it's because Bruce Hornsby plays piano on both and
> his style is really unique.

Well, that's odd, because I don't hear any piano on "The Way It Is,"
and don't see Hornsby's name in the credits.  However, people have
mentioned that there was another mix of this album, so perhaps this
song was drastically remixed.

I did notice Zak Starkey's name on the credits -- as lead guitar
in "Ecstasy Heaven."

All for now, except to remind you that "Among Us" may be
availalbe in a store near you.

	Enjoy (I know you will),
	Bill

/* Bill Sherman  (wsherman@ncsa.uiuc.edu)                                */
/* National Center for Supercomputing Applications                       */
/* University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign                            */
/*     Og - "You want to do mankind a real service?  Tell funnier jokes" */
/*  Spinner - "but facts don't always reveal the truth"                  */
/*      Robin - "Yeah, but I always figure that's the writers' fault"    */