Re: Holiday Songs

Rich,

> It's of course that time of year when many of us get to hear those
> classic
> holiday hymns.  Unfortunately, we also get to hear Christmas music
> from Rock
> stars that is often mediocre.  So why don't we petition The Who to
> record a
> Holiday album, which would blow the others away?  Here are songs I'd
> like to
> see them do.  Some are powerful songs befitting Roger's voice and a
> guitarist who standardized power chords; many would allow a prominent
> return
> of those Who harmonies of old.
>
> O Holy Night (suggested by last night's episode of Frasier)
>
> Do You Hear What I Hear (perhaps Roger could do a duet with Bing)
>
> Jingle Bell Rock and/or Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree (as with
> Summertime Blues, our lads would produce the definitive version that
> TRULY
> rocked!)
>
> Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer (in recognition of John's use of this
> song)

(Very nice, "I believe"!)

> Little Drummer Boy (a tribute to Keith; time for John to trot out his
> Quick One falsetto)
>
> Do They Know It's Christmas (or "Feed The World" or whatever that Band
> Aid
> song is called)
>
> Christmas (Pete's own from Tommy--he could finally rewrite some of
> those
> lyrics that he correctly considers to be a tad awkward)

(Pam the Who Girl is now using this song as the background music for her
telephone answering machine message!)

> I know there are a few powerful hymns I'm forgetting...

How about the "Hallelujah Chorus" from Handel's "Messiah"?  Just imagine
it:  Pete windmilling like a lunatic, shirt ripped open; Roger really
belting it out; and John letting loose with amazing bass runs, as he did
this summer during "5:15"!

--Cheryl