Re: Chinese Eyes

On Tue, 2 Dec 1997 22:27:09 -0600, Alan McKendree
<amck@thenetdr.com> wrote:

>>From: Kathleen Pasquale <klpasquale@earthlink.net>
>>
>>I still
>>believe that any band that puts anything more that $100 face value on a
>>ticket is just greedy.
>
>How did $100 get to be the magic figure?  I'll be happy to take this
>offline with Kathleen (or anyone else who's interested), but I just =
wanna
>point out that I think "greed" gets a bad rap.  It's just another name =
for
>maximizing your benefits (usually monetary, but not always) and as long =
as
>its exercised within moral limits, I'd say it's what drives human =
progress.

I think most people want two things, which of course will never be
found in combination:

1. Cheap tickets
2. Only the real fans get the good seats.

When the ticket prices are held low, a lot of people who "shouldn't"
get the tickets will get them. Like friends of the promoter, or
industry weasels, or just silly rich people who don't know anything
about the band and talk through the entire concert.

Raising the ticket prices tends to reduce the number of "non-fans"
who show up. Combined with a resale market, this pretty much insures
that anyone fanatical enough can get tickets. This may mean
compromises if you are low on funds, but with the last tour I know a
*lot* of people who followed the tour, and got good seats at quite a
few venues. They probably paid in excess of $100 per ticket to do
it, but the resale market insured that they *could* do it if they
were willing to pay the money. That is how markets work.

And you can see the Simon Townshend Band for much less, and have a
great time.<g>

- --=20
Kevin B. O'Brien                  TANSTAAFL
kob1@ix.netcom.com
"Americans have different ways of saying things.  They say `elevator',
we say `lift'...they say `President', we say `stupid psychopathic =
git'...."
 -- Alexi Sayle

Help fight SPAM. Join CAUCE. http://www.cauce.org/