Re: Harrison/Lennon/Dylan/Beatles/Who/Sitting/Standing

>Date: Thu, 28 Aug 1997 Vincent Favia wrote:
>Subject: Harrison/Lennon/Dylan/Beatles/Who/Sitting/Standing
>
>> 	But to me, then and now, they were, and are, hamburger. Not even ground
>> chuck roast. The longer I listen, the more embarrassing their stuff
>sounds,
>> and the Who stuff just keeps sounding better.

 The Who's music does keep sounding better, but I totally disagree with your
statement that The Beatles music sounds "embarrassing" the longer you
listen. Quite to the contrary, I enjoy albums like Rubber Soul, Revolver,
and Abbey Road as much now I did in the late 60's or the '70's. And if The
Beatles music does sound at all "embarrassing" these days, it's only because
their music and lyrics were full of optimism and hope, two qualities that
are sadly out of fashion in the music of the 90's. The music of the 90's is
dominated by lyrics of hopelessness, and most popular bands like Smashing
Pumpkins, Nirvana, Metallica, and even Pearl Jam, would all fall into this
catagory. How could songs like "Here Comes The Sun", "Getting Better", or
"Magical Mystery Tour" NOT sound embarrassingly optomistic and corny in the
present musical climate? Even great Who classics like "Pinball Wizard" and
"I Can See For Miles" sound pretty dated in the '90's, but I still love 'em.
And I still love The Beatles music as well.

                         Long Live Rock,

                               I.S.

                  Sacred cows make the best hamburger