PT vs.L & M etc.

My hunch is most of the people critizing The Beatles weren't born when the
true  Beatles phenom was raging.  The Who were the best live band to ever
take the stage, but the Beatles in their day were one of a kind in every
other respect.

I attended a live Beatles concert.  Sat in the front row.  Couldn't hear a
thing.  The crowd was rabid.  Girls screaming and crying.  And it was
genuine.  No drugs, no booze.  That seen hadn't started yet.  This reaction
was true emotion.  This band was worshipped.

Frankly I don't think you can understand the impact of the Meet The Beatles
album.

Now a days to someone under 40 it may not sound like much but in it's day
there was nothing like it anywhere.

And virtually every album they put out after that got bigger and better.

The Beatles were the first major musical talent to start writing their own
material.
Once they did it everybody did it.  PT admits that.

The Beatles grew their hair, everybody grew their hair.  The Beatles smoked
pot, everybody smoked pot.  The Beatles did a theme album everybody had to do
a theme album.  The beatles found a guru, everybody had to have a guru.  Ever
heard of Meyer Baba,  a PT favorite I do believe.  I could go on.  Their
impact was too immence to chronicle now.  But they affected millions of
people.  Including our own Who.

Here's a news flash for you: The Who may have never even come into existence
without the Beatles.

Lennon and McCartney never created a Tommy or a Quad.  But the great songs
they did write are too numerous to mention.  Individually the two of them may
never have been able to create like PT but together they created a legacy
that may never be duplicated.

PT thought the greatest rock and roll song he ever wrote (pre-Tommy) was I
can see for miles.  When it didn't sell he was literally devastated not to
mention totally pissed.  Every song the Beatles put out in that era out sold
it by 10 times.  There is a reason for that.

You can love PT as much as you want, everybody reading this is a true fan,
but to trash what you don't understand in my mind shows ignorance that would
be better kept to yourself.

I think Frank Sinatra and Elvis made some good songs.  But they were before
my time and I can't relate to them the way someone older than I am does.

Please don't take this personally.  But, to semi quote a fellow Who fan, The
Beatles are one sacred cow which can't be turned into hamburger.

Jerry L.