Re: Townshend / Dylan / Lennon / Mcartney / Bill

>No doubt that Townshend is a good songwriter, but he is neither
>prolific enough nor cliche-less enough to compare to Lennon / McCartney >or Dylan (Who, as songwriters did something very hard to do - they >invented new phrases that have since become cliches... How many of >those has Townshend written?)

Hope I die before I get old
The whole lyric to "Magic Bus", Behind Blue Eyes, and Pinball Wizard
Won't get fooled again.

Quite a few actually. I'm not gonna argue with you but your statement
begs a contradiction.

>Needless to say that i am on this list because I am a fan of the band >and Mr Townshend, but since Dylan and Lennon / Mcartney pretty much >invented the modern song-structure (post-tin pan alley style of >songwriting, for those of you not versed enough in literature), I'd >have to place Townshend a step or two below them....

I think you take the whole thing a bit too seriously. When all is said
and done 100 years from now precious few will know or care what any of
them wrote or that they even ever lived. The one problem I have with
rock anymore is that it is all too prentensious. Too many people, fans
and musicians, attempt to impart all too much meaning into the medium.
If I were looking for serious meaning, structured verse, and intelligent
lyrics I'd look elsewhere.