fingernails

JenniferD,

>Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 21:09:48 -0400 (EDT)
From: Jennifer Lee Davies <jen@nt.net>
Subject: fingernails - a sad tale for every lady guitar player

        I'm mortified.  My fellow ladies will understand.
        I have to chop off my nails.
        I'm rather proud of them, you see.  I don't have to put nail poli=
sh
on them to make them look good, and even though I have "long and delicate=
"
(quoting my mom - I just call them "thin") fingers, my nails - which aren=
't
of any great length at all, and don't stick out far over my finger's tip =
- -
add a nice little touch of class.  I've never been able to get them to lo=
ok
like this before.  But I can't play guitar properly now.
        The fingertips of my left hand just can't hold the strings proper=
ly
unless I cut my nails down pretty far. <sigh> So, if you hear any agonize=
cries tonight, that would be me as I chop my nails down.

JenniferD<

Awww...I truly sympathize.  I remember when I took classical guitar in
college, it was even worse...the prof told me that I'd not only have to c=
ut
the nails on my left hand, but I'd have to trim the ones on my right to
*exactly* the right length to play the strings properly (not very long!).=

I gave up classical guitar after one semester or so when I realized that =
wasn't going to learn how to bash out chords like Pete. <g>

- --Carolyn
"Never spend your guitar or your pen"