Re: Tampa Show

At 18:53 8/16/97, The Who Mailing List Digest wrote:
>Date: Sat, 16 Aug 1997 00:53:43 -0400 (EDT)
>From: CosmoFLA@aol.com
>Subject: Tampa Show
>
>It was kind of sad at the end, though.  Pete told the crowd to "shut up"
>because he couldn't hear himself play the acoustic.  He was joking by being
>rude, but was serious about the crowd noise.  He said he didn't want to "pull
>a Springsteen" with a folk song, but he needed to hear himself

FYI, he didn't usually ask the audience to be quiet on WGFA.  It was an
indoor venue (the only one on the tour) so the levels on his monitor were
set wrong and Pete and the sound guys were adjusting them all night.
Apparently by the time WGFA rolled around they were set so low he said the
only way he could hear himself was for the audience to settle down a bit.
They actually did, for about 1 minute during the quiet part of the song.

Alan

"When I'm on stage, it's not like bein' possessed...it's just...*I* *do*
*my* *job*."                 - Pete Townshend