Charlotte, Atlanta, Art

Starting with the latter, John's Art arrives in Atlanta for display today
from 12-4, then from 7-9 John will be there for meet n greet.  I called the
number in the tour book ad and was put ont he list to make the 7-9 meet n
greet.  I didn't realize you had to be on a list to get in for that.

Besides working on stage, and the first row picnic table we had to see Roger
sing Towshend a couple of years ago, these were undoubtedly the best view
we've had of a major show.  It was so wierd to be able to make eye contact
with the band.  Simon really has done a superior job of assimilating his 1996
role in the band along with Greg Whitehorn's.  I really liked Whitehorn but
Simon earns the spot too.  Not as much interplay between Pete and Simon in
Atlanta as in Charlotte.

The start of the show, the line between the stage and the fans was a little
cold.  i guess like meeting someone for the first time.  As the show went on,
each band member was looking out into the audience establishing eye contact.
 Plus hoping that these Brits understand that us American whistle for
approval as their homeys whistle during futbol games when someone is screwing
up or doing something dirty, Sharon and I unleashed our usual whistles of
appreciation.  I guess we are kind of loud as I could see them reacting to
the whistling.  They give us their all, we always figure part of what we pay
our dough for is to give something back.

We could only hear Simon and Pete's playing through their stage rigs.  The
stacks were so far to the side, we missed a lot of it.  John's bass rig was
more noticable as we were again getting his onstage rig sound and the bass
frequency just reacts differently.  I know how it is to stand in front of a
bass rig and it will beat you up.

But it seems like the band has taken the usual route to not conintue to ruin
their own hearing by letting the house PA system take on the role of
amplifying the music.  I enjoy the hell out of loud music, but you only have
one chance to keep your hearing.

The horn section was really having a good time and it's great to see real
horns instead of it being sampled.  It's a justification to me for paying $60
for a ticket.  I'm not rich and $60 is a lot, but The Who doesn't just take
the money and run.  They crafted an excellent show and tour.  It's great to
know us later shows int he tour benefit from them getting stronger and
stronger.

Zack Starkey just ransacked the kit all night long.  Can't say enough about
Zakk.

Rabbit is so much fun to watch play keys.  he looks like he's just having a
large time...wouldn't you?

I can't add much more to all the great reviews you all have posted to this
list.  Thanks to everyone.

One thing I noticed in Chrlotte was that Pete, twice, gave it the tease that
he'd smash his ax.  Of course, as he got half way tot he floor with the
guitar, he'd stop and look out to the audience with a sly grin.

Biggesy memory of the two shows, the guys have matured past the bullshit kid
stage of competing for everything.  Yeah competition has it's place, but
these guys are 50 year old professionals.  They've learned to put their ego
in a resonable place and give themselves to the bigger entity, the music.  I
enjoy their solo projects as it shows different sides of each member, but The
Who is a band and I'm so glad to see that they finally figured that out(like
I'm some music scholar?).  Interacting like a band was definitely the high
point for me.

Although I couldn't help feel like the long haired biker at Tommy's holiday
camp near the end of the movie when they were buying merchandise and got fed
up of the cost.  I know from the inside what goes into making Tshorts and
selling them and giving everyone their cut.  No they didn't go overboard and
charge what i saw the Rolling Stones try to pull.  The Tshirts are high
quality and the designs are really artistic.  the tour book is awesome.  I
guess now that merchandise is really a big profit center for touring, I'm not
surprised to see merch hacks rape the fans.  I just do not understand why
anyone has the brass nuts to charge $27 for a Tshirt.  It cost $6 to do ANY 4
color Tshirt in that kind of bulk.  I mean it would be a nice gesture to the
fans for them to only be $17 or even $20 and only make 300% gross profit.

Can't wait for Tampa as I got seats directly in front of the soundboard.

Kirk