Re: Pete About Page

>  I don't believe this shit for one moment.

Ian:

Forgetting the unlikelihood of my having the transcript, or the
existence of such a transcript in the first place, or the relative humor
of my note (not as obvious as I had hoped)...it WAS meant to be a joke.
I feel sure that even if Page was thinking it, a comment like that would
never pass through his lips. And I could contend it's possible he was
thinking it, since by himself he never wrote a song this good.

> I mean,let's
> face it..."ICE" is a great pop tune,but it's hardly "brilliant".Especially
> when you take into consideration the fact that Pete wrote it accidently
> while trying to play a Kinks song that he'd heard.

While it's true that Pete consciously pinched the Kinks sound (even as
The Kinks nicked the Beatles' sound with their first single, Long Tall
Sally), IMHO ICE is in fact brilliant. What Pete did with the Kinks
sound is take it up another level. A more inventive chord structure,
more mature lyrical content, better musicianship.
However, what puts it into the brilliant catagory (for me) is that when
it comes on, I get this almost uncontrollable urge to jump up and play
air guitar.
I'm not sure which Kinks song you mean, though...Townshend was playing
You Really Got Me before this; it's on the Marquee Club boot.

- --

            Cheers                ML

 "It's more than a looking back...it's a bringing up to date.
  Quadrophenia is about where we're all at today...maybe you too,
  I don't know..."
            Pete Townshend