Re: Camden

Camden was a great show.  I went with a friend who had not seen QUAD since
11/96--his observation was the the band was *much* tighter and more
enthusiastic.  I couldn't agree more.  The performance was even better than
PNC on 8/3.  Our seats were dead center, about 60 rows back (just in front of
the sound board), so the mix was excellent (TRM guitar work could barely be
heard but this was soon corrected).  Both Simon and Pete's guitar work was
very clear, though JAE was somewhat buried.  The crowd (very well attended
BTW) stood the entire show and was more enthusiastic than PNC.

Some impressions re the show: 1) This being my 4th Quad, I made it a point to
observe other aspects of the performance based on comments posted on the
list, to wit--Simon's playing is extraordinary and he is growing in
confidence with each show; despite the continued Zak vs Kenny vs Simon
debate, I still hold the belief that Zak is a *major* driving force behind
the band's newfound enthusiam and intensity (I think Pete shares the same
belief based upon his introductions of Zak); Pete's enthusiam is increasing
with each show--fortunately, last night's mix allowed you to actually hear
his electric solo work--both accoustic and electric work are on fire.  2)
Roger had two "gaffes"--he missed the 1st "Is it me" in DJ and his mike just
quit for the last lines of BBE--which he made light of and the crowd seemed
to enjoy.  3) 515 was again the launching pad for the rest of the show--both
the crowd and the band (Simon's solo was killer and Pete really was into it)
took it to a whole different level which lasted the rest of the night.  4) At
the end of SAS, Pete was telling the crowd that *he* was "the face" which
really got the folks up front rowdy.  TKAA was even better than PNC--clearly
not as spontaneous but the arrangement was very tight and a pleasure to hear.

Overall, this was the best show I have seen.  It is obvious that the band
gets better with each performance.  When QUAD ended and "the end" hit the
screen, I literally had chills--in part because of the performance and in
part because I realized that, since I can't get to any more Quad shows this
tour, I was probably getting my last exposure to this great live performance
of what is one of my favorite all time records and is also a landmark work of
art.  If any one on the list has any ability to communicate with the band or
their management people, please suggest they record a performance for release
on video and CD; and as long as I can put my 2 cents in, they should release
a version from the current part of the tour (with the "trimmed down' (as Pete
says) version of the band) rather than something with all the guest stars
kike they did with Tommy in 89.  This tour is truly a rare work of art and
should be preserved for all WHO fans to enjoy.  I feel privilged to have seen
it 4 times.

Bruce