Re: The Who Mailing List Digest V4 #103

Interesting all these posts about Led Zep and The Who, eh?  I remember
reading somewhere that John Entwistle was to be a member of Led Zep and the
name was his idea - cute, especially if you realise where the name comes
from - the saying "Went down like a lead zeppelin/balloon"  which
translates into "an unmitigated disaster".  A bit of Entwistle irony?
I've never liked Zep - went to see them in 1970 and thought they were dull
as dishwater.  I also found "The Song Remains The Same" unwatchable it was
so boring.  Jimmy may be a better musician than Pete but to my mind never
generated anything like the excitement that Pete does with his solos.  And
the only bass-player of that era that is comparable to John is Jack Bruce.
IMHO Zep were a poor man's Cream who overstayed their welcome.
How come no comparisons with Cream?  They are and always will be my
favorite after the Who for much the same reasons - excellent musicianship,
great songs, amazing improvs and exciting to see - tho', because of their
short life I've only seen bad films of them like the farewell - unwatchable
because of the twitchy camera-work, lousy sound and - even by their own
admission - a less than great performance.
And to that young guy who is going into listening to Sinatra when he hits
25 - no, some people mature and still think rock is their music.  Sadly,
just as my father is locked into the music of his youth, so are the rest of
us - unless we never liked it in the first place.  Part of the human
condition.  Most of us on this digest will be listening to the Who in our
'80s.  Hope I die before I get old?  Not on your Nellie!
Neil Hunt