Re: Pete's Banjo Days

> >I wonder how much of this rhythm-as-lead approach Pete picked
> >up from playing banjo (which I believe he learned prior to
> >the guitar as an influence from his father's dixieland jazz
> >band days).
>
> I believe Pete was playing the guitar before the banjo. I
> remember some story told by John that in the pre-Detours days
> someone was talking about this great dixiland banjo player and
> Pete started boasting about how he could play better and made
> a bet.  He then went & bought (or borrowed) a banjo and learned
> to play in a matter of days.
>
> Has anyone else heard this one.  I can't remember if I read it
> in one of my books or hear it in an interview with Entwistle.

As a guitar player, my particular take on the great English guitar
players of this time has always been that Skiffle music developed
extraordinary rhythm players.  Pete, John Lennon, Keith Richards, Ray
and Dave Davies-all great rhythm players-learned great right hand
technique by cutting their teeth on Skiffle.

John Holcomb