Re: the previous digest

In article <9704251740.AA31610@dekalb.dc.peachnet.edu>,
    dana hartwell deer <deerdana@dekalb.dc.peachnet.edu>  writes:
> And "lead" ain't all there is to it. Much of the rhythm guitar Pete plays is
> dang near impossible, suffice to say no one else in the world has built nearly
> the technical skills in those areas as much as Pete.

I once heard someone characterize Pete's playing as "turning the
rhythm guitar into the lead instrument" or something along those
lines.  This is especially prominent in a song like Pinball
Wizard -- where most newbies think those heavy bass TWANGs
coming from John are the lead guitar!  (Side note: I recall
John once commenting to an interviewer how it pissed him off
that movie and video cameras always zoomed in on Pete during
this part of the song, thinking "it must be the lead guitar
making all that noise" -- when in fact, Pete is just standing
there in the classic "X" pose, arm raised high, ready to come
down for the next power chord.)

I wonder how much of this rhythm-as-lead approach Pete picked
up from playing banjo (which I believe he learned prior to
the guitar as an influence from his father's dixieland jazz
band days).
- --
http://www.xmission.com/~legalize	Legalize Adulthood!
legalize@xmission.com