Re: Lonely Fans

>	I think there should be a lonely fans convention, for all of us
>who have had to suffer in silence. Case study: My best friend, a rabid
>Who fan, lives in Europe but goes to college in the US -- so she can't
>exactly cart her stereo back and forth across the Atlantic. So she has
>to just put up with it while her roommate blasts Garth Brooks day in and
>day out.
>	When people get in my car, it's pretty much guaranteed that the
>Who will be pouring from the speakers as soon as I turn the key. If I had
>a nickel for every person who said "What the hell is *this*?" at that
>moment, I could buy a new car.
>	This is upstate New York, but not too far from the city, you'd
>THINK that people would be more aware of the Who (For cryin out loud,
>they kicked of The Kids Are Alright tour in Glens Falls!) but they're
>not.  It is infinitely depressing.

I've been listening to The Who since I was a teen in the mid-70s, and the one
constant that I've had to deal with is the aspect of being an outcast because
I'm a Who fan.  But you know what?  I like to wear that as my badge of honor.  A
Who fan is a special breed of fan, an outsider, who can find solace in the music
of The Greatest Rock n' Roll Band in the World.  I can relate to those of you
that are feeling down or angry that The Who doesn't receive the recognition they
deserve, for I have felt this too, but I can console myself with the thought
that only the truly enlightened know the glory of The Who, and those that don't
know are the ones missing out.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
* Mike Lewis                                                                  *
* San Diego, CA                                                               *
* mlewis@connectnet.com                                                       *
* "We're not pawns in any game                                                *
*  We're not tools of bigger men                                              *
*  There's only One who can really move us all"                               *
*                                     - "Naked Eye", The Who                  *