Re: The Who Mailing List Digest V4 #97

Linda Thompson wrote That she didn't know much about the other members of
Led Zepplin.  Let me fill you in.  If their was an antithesis of The Who,
it was Led Zep.

1.  Lead Vocals.  Roger is was and always will be much more of a crooner
and styalist than Robert Plant.  Plant turned every Led Zep song to a
style that he felt comfortalbe with.  Roger could adapt his style to fit
the song.  That is the main difference.  They are both masters of what
they do.

2. Bass.  JE could play rings around John Paul Jones, but Jones was just
as steady, he just wasn't as flashy.  He also played the Melotron (No
Quarter) and organ (You Time is Going to Come, ect.) This might make him
a better all around musician, but not a better bass player.

3. drums.  If there is a glaring difference between the bands it comes
from the drummer's throne.  Moon had a style that was not apt to keeeping
very strict time.  This drove the other member of the band to "keep up"
with his wildness and create their own unstructured music.  John Bonham,
on the other hand, was as steady as they come.  He might also be the only
drummer stronger than Keith.  When he was younger his hobby was snapping
bass drum heads with his pedal.  (Quite a feet, if you have drumming
experience).  He and Jones supplied the base that Jimmy Page worked
from.  He was responsible for at least two guitar parts on every song.
There is no way he could accomplish that without a strong rythem
section.

I won't go into comparing Pete and Jimmy.  Books could be written on the
subject.  A lot more could be said about Led Zep too, but this is The Who
mailing list.  Hope I helped Linda understand a little better.

- -Pete