Cache Cache... no really!

FIRST: "Cache Cache" is an obscure song, and not Pete's best by a long
shot (although i personally rank it above "Goin' Mobile", "Squeezebox",
"How Many Friends", "Long Live Rock", "Tatoo" and some others i've seen
mentioned on this list as being someone's favorite Who song), but i
brought up the discussion because the lyrics are so vauge and enigmatic
(some would say "stupid").
SECOND: The reason i seriously doubt the existence of a live recording
is not because no one would want to hear it (although i'm sure if they
did play it in concert three-quarters or better of the room would
collectively scratch their heads and say "what song is this?" and the
rest would say "why are they playing this?"). i doubt they ever did or
will ever do it because of something i heard Pete say, see below.
THIRD: i'm sick of everybody dismissing the post-Kieth stuff unless it's
live, with the exceptions of YBYB and Eminence Front. Go back and listen,
that stuff holds up better than you may remember. i've often thought "Cry
If You Want" was a perfect final Who song, "How Can You Do It Alone" was
an excellent look back on "Pictures of Lily" and adds a double-entendre
(how can you get through life alone), "Quiet One", "Dangerous" and "One
at a Time" still blow my mind (John's a better songwriter than we credit
him with), and even though the stuff of FD and IH may not stand up to
comparisons with Quad, it's damn good music. Sadly, even Pete ignores
this material: i have a rockline radio interview where a fan calls in
and asks about "How Can You Do It Alone" and it's meaning...Pete can't
recall it at all. The fan practically recites the words, and he says
"Hmm. Sounds like an interesting song!(laughs)" So sorry if i'm
defensive about the late Who stuff but it gets ragged on by everybody,
even the lads themselves. OK enough said, maybe too much.

Here's Pete, on "CACHE CACHE" (from the liner notes for SCOOP):

"I had written this about a very screwed up time in Europe, a time that
from my point of view still seems strange; The Who too long on the road,
me totally schizophrenic and everyone simply reacting by saying I was
schizophrenic. The song is a jibe at them, the band, the managers, the
hangers on, asking them if they know what it's like. It's a bitter piece,
but powerful.
  Roger saw immediately what it was about when I tried to get him to do
it on FACE DANCES and made me sing it myself By the time I came to do the
Who's version I had forgiven everybody, or realized that they hadn't
really been guilty of anything in the first place. When I sang the demo I
meant it."

   What was Roger upset about, exactly, I have to wonder. He sings it on
the album, but this is the quote that made me seriously doubt they'd ever
do it live. Any of you with boots from the tour know if they did?

Incidentally, i always wondered what "Don't Let Go The Coat" really
meant, it always meant 'stay true to me, don't give up on me, keep the
faith' that type of thing to me... recently read that Meher Baba (Pete's
spiritual guide) often said: "Hold fast to the hem of my robe." so i
guess that makes sense...

Take care everybody!
                        peace&anarchy, sir jeffree

"