Steve Luongo UK trip #14

Thu, 26 Sep 1996 07:40:35 -0400
From: SLuongo@aol.com

Day 14 going home

We had a 2pm flight today from London Heathrow.  John and Lisa's
friend Richard drove us to the airport.  Before we left we stopped at
Alldays to pick up as much English chocolate as we could fit in our
bags.  I for one don't want to hear the word Cadbury for a long time
but I promised the girls in the office that I'd bring some home and I
did.  2 of everything.  I felt like a Cadbury salesman.  The people at
Alldays must have thought we were pretty well off our rockers.

As we pulled in to Heathrow we saw a dozen cops with machine guns
looking for someone.  Godfrey said that yesterday they had arrested a
terrorist member of the IRA.  This didn't not make me feel very good
about checking into Heathrow.

When we got inside we went to the check-in desk to make sure that we
had the right reservations this time and we did.  Yeah, upper class.
During our dance of joy a man asked me to take my bag and go behind a
screen so it could be checked by a customs lady.  I had a reel of 2"
tape and a brief case with several electronic devices in it.  I guess
it must have looked kind of strange on the X-ray machine.  When she
opened my bag and saw the candy she said "Don't get sick."  I said
"Too late."  She let me pack my bag and sent me off to meet Godfrey
and Alan.

We were escorted to the upper class lounge by a very nice flight
attendant and sat down for a bite to eat.  They have a lot of great
stuff to eat and it's all free.  However Alan didn't know this and
asked the price of something since there were no prices on the menu.