Vancouver 10/16/96

GM Place, Vancouver 10/16/96

show time: 1 hour and 50 min.

set:
Quadrophenia
encore:
WGFA (Pete and Roger with John this time!)
Behind Blue Eyes
Substitute
Who Are You
After the Tacoma show I had hoped things would get better and better,  but
that was not to be.    It looked like trouble as soon as the lights came up
on stage for the Real Me, and Pete was playing the acoustic guitar on it,
 instead of electric as he had in Portland and Tacoma.   Pete remained on
acoustic for the entire performance of Quadrophenia.   He did one windmill at
the end of the reprise of I'm the Face (when they introduce the band)
 otherwise a much more sedate Pete compared to the previous show.     Roger
again seemed to struggle vocally during the middle portions of Quad,  but
came back extremely strong for  Love Reign O'er Me and the encores.
Boris was dropped from the encore (thankfully!!!) but not replaced by
anything (unthankfully!!),  but John was invited to join Pete and Roger for
Won't Get Fooled Again,  which was easily the highlight of the show.    That
was followed by 'our big radio song' Behind Blue Eyes.    Finally,  Pete
strapped on the red Stratocaster for a quick version of Substitute and kept
it on for Who Are You.     Roger had some trouble with his guitar at the
beginning of W.A.Y.,  it needed to be tuned,  and he had to start the song
again.     It seemed to be over far too quickly.
     The GM Place was a great big new arena very similar to the Rose Garden
in Portland.   Unlike both the Portland and Tacoma shows,  this show was
listed as a sell out,  even though 7th row on the floor could be purchased as
late as yesterday.
It certainly looked like a full house,  and i'm sure few in the audience were
disappointed.      During W.A.Y.  Lauren (Naked Eye10@aol.com) got some time
on the big screens,   holding up her Who R U license plate.    It got a big
cheer from the crowd.     Hovercraft didn't open up for this show,  which had
a 7:30 start time,  unlike the last two.     I think the opening band ( a 4
piece) was called the Dave Good Band.
     I spoke to Bob Pridden after the show, and asked him what prompted Pete
to neglect the electric guitar for most of the night.   He said that Pete had
ripped part of his thumb nail off at the end of the Tacoma show.   Hopefully
Pete's thumb will have a quick recovery and he'll get back on the electric.
  It REALLY affected the feel of the show.     Simon did step up and play
more lead than he had the previous two nights,   but i don't think anyone
would be disappointed if he had to step back into the shadows to let his
older brother play a little more.