The Who In October

     Another trip down memory lane (with some dark sections in the woods)
     5 years ago this month:
     "Two Rooms," The Elton John-Bernie Taubin tribute album featuring The
     Who's last studio cut "Saturday Night's Alright For Fighting" is
     released

     10 Years Ago This Month:
     Pete's live LP "Deep End Live!" and single "Barefootin'"/"Behind Blue
     Eyes" is released.  In the U.S. the LP reaches #98

     15 Years Ago This Month:
     John releases the single "Too Late The Hero" backed with "I'm Coming
     Back" in Britain and "Dancing Master" in the U.S.
     Pete, along with his parents and a "female companion," travel to Paris
     where Pete works on Elton John's "Jump Up" LP
     On the 31st, Pete, on his return from Paris, drinks 5 pints of brandy
     in a pub and goes into delerium tremens.

     20 Years Ago This Month:
     In preparation for The Who's upcoming U.S. West Coast and Canada tour,
     Keith enters a Los Angeles clinic to dry out.
     "The Story Of The Who," a 2-disc compilation LP, is released in
     Britain along with a single "Substitute" backed with the long version
     of "I'm A Boy" and "Pictures Of Lily."  The LP reaches #2 on the NME
     charts.  "Substitute," which catches on with the new punk-rock crowd,
     reaches #7.
     On the 6th, The Who open their U.S. West Coast and Canada tour in
     Phoenix.  Following is San Diego on the 7th.
     On the 9th & 10th, The Who play at Oakland Coliseum on a  double bill
     with The Grateful Dead.
     The Who tour continues with dates in Portland (12th & 13th), Seattle
     (14th), Edmonton (16th), Winnipeg (18th) and Toronto (21st).  The
     Seattle date would be Keith's last performance in the U.S. and the
     Toronto date is the last concert with Keith before a paying audience.

     25 Years Ago This Month:
     The Who tour Britain with dates at Reading (2nd), Surrey (9th), Kent
     (10th), Southampton (18th), Birmingham (20th), Glasgow (21st),
     Blackpool (22nd), Liverpool (23rd), Stoke Trentham (24th), Manchester
     (28th), Hull (29th), and Newcastle (30th).  These dates mark a
     wardrobe change for The Who: Roger ditches the open-chest fringe for a
     denim shirt and Pete switches from his white one-piece "boiler suit"
     to a shirt and pants.
     On the 15th, the single "Let's See Action" backed with "When I Was A
     Boy" is released in Britain.  It reaches #16.
     A movie about The Who's experiences on the road, called "Guitar Farm"
     and incorporating part of the "Lifehouse" project, is said to be in
     production.  Nic Cohn will accompany the band during their U.S. tour
     to write a screenplay.  It is later called "Rock Farm" and "Joad"
     before it is finally abandoned sometime in 1972.
     In the U.S., the single "Behind Blue Eyes" backed with "My Wife" is
     released.  It reaches #34.
     On the 30th, "Meaty, Beaty, Big & Bouncy" is released in the U.S.  It
     reaches #11.

     30 Years Ago This Month:
     The Who begin recording songs for their new LP.  Among the titles
     recorded at IBC Studios, London during this month are "Run Run Run,"
     "Boris The Spider," "I Need You," and "Cobwebs & Strange."
     On the 14th, The Who perform in Leeds at Queens Hall
     A group called Oskar releases a single in Britain of "Join My Gang," a
      song written for them by Pete.
     On the 14th, The Who perform at Leeds Queens Hall
     On the 19th, The Who arrive in Copenhagen for a European tour.  They
     perform in Copenhagen (20th), Goetheburg (21st), Malmoe (23rd),
     Stockholm (25th) and Berlin (30th)
     On the 21st, a special "Ready Steady Go!" TV show is aired in Britain,
     half of which is dedicated solely to The Who and, according to manager
     Kit Lambert, presented in the style of the "Theatre Of The Absurd."
     This is the show that was supposed to be recorded for the upcoming EP.
     On the 27th, The Who appear on a French TV special and the 28th on a
     Danish TV special.
     On the 28th, the suit with Shel Talmy, The Who's former producer, is
     settled.  Talmy will receive a percentage of all Who albums released
     until this date in 1971.

     52 Years Ago This Month:
     On the 9th, John Entwistle, e-mail correspondent and toilet paper delivery
     man, is born in Chiswick, London