The "Who Are You" Album

>"Who Are You"
>shot up from 1% to 5% popularity this time, Goddess only knows why.

Hey, you need to remain impartial.<G>

"Who Are You" is my favorite album as I voted. I do love Quadrophenia and
Live as Leeds as most others do but there is just something about Who Are
You. I think that the album itself represents  a turning point in the
careers of the band members. "The Music Must Change" and "Sister Disco" are
my favorite tracks off of the album. Then of course it is Keith's last album
which can lead into the whole; "Would The Who still be in existence if Keith
hadn't died?" discussion.

Which I am sure that you have all answered it after reading the same
question numerous times in all the Rock N Roll mags. I for one really
beleive that The Who wouldn't have made it past Who Are You if Keith was
still around, or at least not with the same intensity and power. Don't get
me wrong I thought that Keith was an excellent drummer for Pete's music.
It's just that the guy was a complete lunatic headed on a path for sure
destruction. The only difference betweem hin and someone like ...lets
say...Jim Morrison, is that he only destroyed himself instead of the rest of
the band along with him. I think that the success of WAY gave us Face Dances
and It's Hard (which gave us and excellent tour that most of us attended).

It seems as is Pete's music thrives on adversity, something goes wrong in
his life and BOOM out comes an awsome album. Look at Empty Glass for Pete's
sake (no pun intended) that was a phenominal album, possibly my most
favorite album of all time. The entire album is very dark and riddled with
disaster that points at Petes life. Similar to WAY. Then all is well in "All
The Best Cowboys Have Chinese Eyes" after Pete cleans himself up (E.I.
Sombody Saved Me).

I think that is why I like the 2 albums (WAY and EG) so much, they show the
disaster and adversity in Pete's life and he makes it through to continue
as, in my opinion, the best song writer/guitarist ever. The last 7-8 years
have been really great for Who fans, yes it has been slow as well as few and
far between but we're getting quality work from the boys. I haven't heard
any complaints directed at the members of the band yet on this Quad tour.
All complaints have been directed to either Gary Glitter or Billy Idol, both
of whom I feel were un-necessary for the success of the tour.

I like to read the posts to the list from the newer fans or from fans that
haven't seen the band before. One girl actually wept? during a couple of the
numbers. Last night I listened to the boxed set in it's entirety (quite a
marathon) and it is amazing to hear the music change so drastically over the
years (I guess that sometimes the music must change). Oh yeah, before I
forget, Quadrophenia blows Tommy out of the water. I think that what keeps
The Who going is the difference in the music over the years. If you listen
to a band like the Rolling Stones their music is so similar from the
beginning to the present but Pete's music changes sooooo drastically. Which
is also why todays generation can appreciate the work of The Who. Most of
the music can be related to by a croud that is young as well as those of us
who are a little older (32).

I have 4 children 14(f), 9(m), 7(f), 5(f) my 14 and 9 year olds really enjoy
the music although I have to censor some of it. For instance my 9 year old
son just isn't ready for "Dr. Jimmy" yet. It is interesting to see which
songs they like, "I Can See For Miles" is by far the favorite they also like
"Substitute", "Who Are You (edited version)", "Can't Explain" and beleive it
or not "Cry If You Want" from It's Hard. "Let My Love Open The Door" is a
favorite also, partly because it is in the film Look Who's Talking.

Well, I have rambled on without saying really anything so here's till next time.

Bye!

Vince