Pete Guitar Signings

I was standing right next to the guy who came from Cleveland with his
acoustic guitar wanting a signature.

He had Roger and John's autographs and wanted Pete's.  It's funny
because one of the Ramones (Joey?)- the singer was standing right there
and I told him to ask for an autograph and he wasn't interested.

One of the guards actually took the guitar to Pete Townshend to get him
to sign it but it came back unsigned.

Anyway, I told the guy that Pete signed my guitar (the limited edition
Rickenbacker) at Tower Records after the Beacon shows @ NYC in '93,
so I was surprised to find out that Pete doesn't do it anymore.
When Pete signed mine he did show a little hesitation.  It's a shame.
(No, I'm not selling).

Was it Jude or someone else who said that the reason Pete doesn't sign
anymore was because someone sold or auctioned a signed guitar to the Hard
Rock for some large (6 figure) sum?

-David.