Re: Tommy in Germany

Fang, Re:

> Lauren, re:
>
> >According to Pollstar, the German production of TOMMY has been forced to
> close due to poor ticket sales.  The first year sold only 217,000 tix vs a
> projected 700,000.  Bummer.
>
> They probably figured out that less people in Germany speak English than they
> original thought... You can count me in the numbers of people who didn't see
> it there (or here) too...

I don't think that this was the reason.  Many Germans don't understand Italian
and nevertheless enjoy Italian operas...

I understand both Italian and English, but I haven't seen Italian operas and
the Tommy musical yet because I just don't like them.  Though I don't mind
spending lots of money on Who stuff, I am not willing to pay nearly $100 for
a non-Who version of Tommy with a twisted storyline...  Maybe other German Who
fans thought likewise.

As for non-Who fans:  Keep in mind that `Broadway', unlike e. g. `Webber', is
not a magic word that automatically attracts millions in Germany.  Thus only
people who already knew Tommy were likely to see the musical.

At least, that's how I explain the failure of Tommy here...

Bernd