1st's

Litgo, Re:

>I'd be glad to expound on this. What were others' firsts, BTW? Especially
>those that realized musical consciousness after the Who's (as a formal band)
>demise.

        I suppose my story is similar to yours, Litgo.  I was about ten
years old when I saw the video for "YBYB" on Casey Kasem "American Top 40,"
or something like that.  I really liked the song and the video.  Soon
after, I heard "The Acid Queen" for the first time on the radio and was
transfixed by it.  I was amazed that it was by the same band, and how long
The Who had been around.  I started taping every Who song off of the radio,
and had a pretty impressive collection.  When my father agreed to start
giving me money to buy albums with, when I was about thirteen, I think the
first Who album I bought was Meaty Beaty, then Sell Out, then Quad, then
Tommy.  I bought a different one every two weeks.  I also watched the '82
Toronto show on HBO, whenever it was on.  I had the Shea Stadium show on
tape, which I think was broadcasted live on a local rock station.  I wanted
to go to that concert so bad, but I was too young, and I couldn't find
anyone I knew to go with.  I have spent the last sixteen years trying to
put my finger on the reason why The Who has moved me more than any other
band, without any tangible results.  I have a few speculations, but nothing
to my satisfaction.  Perhaps it is so personal, it cannot be put into
words.  I would be interested know if anyone has thought about why they
like The Who, and what they came up with.
                                                                        Stacey