Re: Subject: Baba O'REILY-whence the O'ReilySun Dec 7 14:32:44 PST 1997

On Mon, 20 May 1996 21:33:00, -0500, SFTA93A@prodigy.com (MS ELLEN N
WEISSBLUM) wrote:

>My boyfriend is trying to "learn the way" and has bought 4 Who CD's
>in the last
>week plus The Best of Pete when it came out. He made a major gaffe by
>admitting
>he thought <gasp> Baba O'Reily was really called, well, you know what.
> I chastised
>him strongly and explained about the Meher Babba, but embaressingly
>was unable
>to explain the O'Reily. I was sure one of you guys could help!

Terry Riley is well-known among devotees of minimalist music. His
compositions frequently begin with a theme which he repeats forever,
but with gradual changes. He was one of the early synthesizer users,
which I imagine is what attracted Pete at that point. If you listen "A
Rainbow In Curved Air", for instance, I think you can see where Pete
got some of his inspiration for the use of synthesizers on Who's Next.

Kevin B. O'Brien
kob1@ix.netcom.com
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and
the intelligent are full of doubt." Bertrand Russell