Re: is it censorship? (Mr. Censor Part 3)

Rich/Mr.Censor, re:

>From the list of lists, (dated 4/25/96) the purpose of this list is
>stated as:
>
>    Purpose: An unmoderated mailing list for discussion of the band
>	The Who, its individual members, lyrics, etc.
>
>Seems pretty straightforward and simple to me

To me too. I think the part YOU object to falls under the "etc." part.

>> yet when some people can't control themselves and insist on posting
everything and anything and are asked to please keep themselves directed
towards the purpose of this list, suddenly they cry "censor!".

You mean like your post? Should I ask 350 people to e-mail you and say "this"
is "off-topic"???

> Obviously I am not a censor since your off-topic articles continue to flood
over the list
>membership.

No, however, you are attempting to censor. Sorta like the guy who says "I
didn't kill nobody", but that's only because he's a lousy shot!

>>I always find it somewhat strange that people who continue to violate the
purpose of the list always blame me when I ask them to respect the list's
charter.

People "blame" you, because you decided to send "unwanted" e-mail to them.
Sorta like one of these Internet advertisers, ie. "junk mail". I claim any
"off-topic" post fits the "charter" since it falls under the "etc." part...

>>Unfortunately it is currently prevalent in American society to avoid
personal responsibility.

This is true. However, your post is a perfect example of it.

>>Noone is taking away your freedom, noone is prohibiting you from saying
whatever you like.  However, I am asking you (and it has always been a
request, never a demand, never a threat, nothing more than a request) to
please keep it on topic for the list.

Never say "never" 'cause never is a long time. That's not true. You sent a
vailed threat to Jason Hare and cc'ed the list-owner. What do you consider
that action? Just being a bit more "pursuasive"???

>>When you post a message, you must accept responsibility for the
consequences of that message.

"Consequences"??? This is a mailing list, not the coming of the Lord!

>>I will continue to request that people keep their messages on-topic; I will
continue to make such requests in private e-mail only

And I see them (you haven't sent me any---hMMM... I wonder why???) continuing
to "tar and feather you" for your ridiculous actions.

>> -- I see no point in discussing this ad-nauseum to the list in general,
but I am open to intelligent discussion by e-mail if you so wish.

I see no point on you e-mailing anyone with this nonsense. Your real goal is
to cause undue attention to yourself. I don't recall EVER seeing you adding
any Who discussion to the list, what "intelligent discussion" are you
referring to.... the history of Internet censorship??? Why you feel the need
to bother people with your problems?

>>4. You are responsible for what you post.

Well, that's true and I'm certainly glad YOU said so. We at least now know,
what kinda fool we are dealing with...

>>Is this a mailing list for discussing the who, or is it a chat list
free-for-all?

When you figure it out let us know...

-wf