Re: Live Stuff

>If you're a rock and roll fan (and not just a Who fan), I would highly
>recommend the Monterey Box Set.  It's an consistently strong four discs worth
>of material. While The Who's set is quite good, but not among their best,
>it's worth having.  Additionally, Otis Redding and Jimi Hendrix both turn in
>stellar performances.  Those three bands alone make it worth the price of
>admission (not to mention Janis Joplin, the Jefferson Airplane, the Animals,
>etc...).

I wholeheartedly agree with this. I got the Monterey set when it came out,
primarily for The Who. But...there is a myriad of delights therein. The only
live Byrds from the Crosby period (and you find out what a force he was in
the band, which wasn't generally known at the time). The Jefferson Airplane.
The Hendrix. Too bad they left off the amazing Simon & Garfunkel set, but I
have that.
It's a damned good set, and (let's face it) the only document from the first
Who tour of America. Good or great (and a lot of that had to do with them
using borrowed equipment, I think), it's worth having. You'd pay almost as
much for a boot CD of it, without the extra bands and the book and so on.

                   Cheers                   ML