Re: Roy's "Flashes"

> Date: 	Mon, 13 May 1996 12:18:44 -0400
> From: Doug Ciceri <dciceri@credit.erin.utoronto.ca>
> Subject: Roy Harper

> I saw the other day that someone mentioned that there is an album
> by Roy Harper that has a few songs by Keith Moon and Jimmy Page as
> the backing band.  I saw this album (used) on vinyl for 16.00!!  I
> was afraid to buy it because I've never heard anything by Roy
> Harper (except for Have a Cigar with Pink Floyd and the Edges of
> Twilight with the Tea Party).  Can someone tell me more about the
> album (i.e. the type of music) and how many songs have Moonie
> behind the kit.  I thank you in advance.

"a few songs <with> Keith Moon" is right, he only appears on the
final two tracks "Too many Movies" & "Home" of the official release
however on the night it was recorded I can only guess that more
songs by "The Intergalactice Elephant Band" (as they were billed)
were played. The evening in question was Valentines Day in '74 and
Robert Plant made the stage announvements and the gig was in tandem
with the release fo Roy's Valentine album, which again features
Jimmy and Keith on a track or two.  But going back to "Flashes", the
live album in question, Jimmy features on several more tracks
including "MCP Blues"(excellent slide playing on this) and "One Man
Rock and Roll Band" while Ian Anderson from Tull guests on the one
studio track (Home again).  The album is a great overview of Roys
work which is at time totally sublime and sometimes rather self
indulgent to say the least, so this album condenses all the good
stuff into one double.

Careful about the CD reissue though which misses off the tracks with
Keith.  These can be found on the CD of Valentine though, if you are
simply interested in the Who connection alone, but "Flashes" is the
better all round album. One other though springs to mind, Valentine
also contains (IMHO) a far superiour version of North Country Girl
than the version found on Pete's ATBCHCE

Ross

e-mail : galvinr@ee-wp.bham.ac.uk