Kilburn/Shepperton/Yvonne Elliman

Gary M. Gillman wrote:
>>What was the Kilburn set-list? For those who may have heard any of the
songs in
question, how would you rate them?.....Gary M.<<

The set-list for the Kilburn show was :
I can't explain
substitute
baba o'riley
my wife
behind blue eyes
dreaming from the waist
pinball wizard
i'm free
tommy's holiday camp
summertime blues
shaking all over
my generation
    with join together and a attempt at who are you
won't get fooled again

by all accounts it really was a bad night for the band and pete in
particular.   it was the height of the u.k. punk scene, and you get the
feeling that pete would rather have been anywhere but at a who concert.
   they also hadn't performed live in over a year
and despite work on the 'who are you' album, were very rusty.

Jeff Williams wrote:
>>In regards to the WGFA on TKAA.  My friend has a poster of the guys
with the exact same clothes on except Keith is wearing a purple
jumpsuit with white stars as opposed to the white shirt in the movie.
I'm assuming this is in line with the band playing more than one show
a night, so my question is, did they play two shows that night, and
if so, is the one on the video the first or the second?<<

the picture used for the poster was taken just prior to the Kilburn show.
   Keith wore the Purple jumpsuit there.   he couldn't fit into it 6 months
later for the shepperton filming.    Stein wanted them to all wear the same
clothes to ease editing of footage from both performances.       the kilburn
show was pretty much the who doing a show with the cameras running,  while
shepperton was set up just to get baba o'riley and WGFA.    the who decided
to play other songs for the invited audience while stein was reloading the
cameras after each shoot.   i don't have a full set list in front of me,  but
i recall that in between takes of WGFA and baba they did at various points:
 i can't explain, substitute,  and summertime blues.
pete was in a much better mood for this performance, and it shows in the
film.

Gary M also wrote:
>>In the cuurent Q magazine ( the same one with the PT interview) a reader
writes that he's sure a female group covered I Can't Explain in the late
60's or early 70's and that PT sang back-up vocals.<<

prehaps he's refering to Yvonne Elliman's  recording of I can't explain,
which featured Pete on guitar.