Simon

(one day late...)

Just returned to Boston from NY/CT.  Went to see Simon and son, Ben,
perform for a very intimate group at Sin-e'.  First of all, Sin-e' is a
very small coffee house.  Perhaps seating for 25 folks (?).  No stage,
just a floor space with a couple of bar stools set up. I had been hanging
around Sin-e' for a while and finally sat myself down at a small group of
tables.  ~WF and his wife came in simultaneaously with Simon's manager and
Ben Townshend and we all got a chance to chat for a while about various
Townshend/Who plans, ideas, etc.  Simon eventually showed and after a few
"hello's" he got started on his guitar.

He played a few songs from his upcoming release first, then he asked his
son Ben to join him with various hand percussion and backing vocals.
There were a few tech. problems..."No, no, it's not the mic, it's the
lead!  It's the lead!....test...test".  This just added to the intimacy of
the gig.  It was really like being in a friends living room.  His guitar
playing was excellent and his delivery was often intense.  Ben seemed a
bit nervous at times but added a very Townshendesque touch to the vocals.

They'll be at Hollies, in Westport, CT this Friday night (9:00).  This is
my hometown so if anyone needs directions just e-mail me privately.
Hollies used to be a Chinese Restaurant...not a big place, so expect the
same kind of "small" show there. Although, I doubt you would ever be in a
smaller venue than Sin-e'.

OK, my mind is still a bit blury this morning...hope I made some sense.

John Brawley
(brawley@cbl.cees.edu)