Papers

I've never been to Kenny Rogers but understand it's good. Do you like Swiss
Chalet? I think it's great. I bought both the Financial Times and the New
York Times - tons of good stuff to read. I'll give you only two examples.
One was an essay, part of a series by writers recollecting some aspect of
their youth, by the daughter of John Cheevers, a well-known American poet
and novelist (now deceased). It was about how alcohol had hurt her parents'
lives terribly, and her own apparently. Before they had hardly realized it
drink had "wound itself around the family like spreading, tightening
vine...". Horrifying, but she built up to her climax slowly. This was in the
New York Times magazine section. The Financial Times has a weekly (on the
weekend) interview series called lunching with the FT: different writers do
it but the best is Lucy Kelloway. A few weeks ago she interviewed the wife
of Nick Leeson, the guy that lost the billions for Barings (she'd written a
book). Last week, another writer did Jonathan Miller, the famous English
playwright and director, who is also a doctor. The writer was careful to
note Miller's "craggy Semitic features". You see this sort of thing in the
British press all the time... Today Kelloway interviewed a guy who's written
two successful books about two murders he'd committed, for which he was
jailed of course, but he has just been released after 25 years. His name is
Parker and said he was a Jew, BTW. Excellent little sketch - we can't touch
the best British papers at this sort of thing. Keep in touch.