Re: Byrds and Who

>Mark`s reference to Roger (Jim) McGuinn`s Back to Rio (a truly lovely
>record) puts me in mind that there should by all rights be a number of
>significant links between the Who and the Byrds - both of them great,
>musical, innovative, spiritual bands which nonetheless have rather different
>sounds despite their contemporaneity. Yet, all I can think of in terms of
>anything which really links the two bands is the jangly Byrds sound Pete
>gets off his guitar in So Sad About Us. Mark, can you, or any other lister,
>identify any further links between these two iconic bands of the classic
>rock era?....

Gary M:

Hmmm...links between The Byrds and Who. I'll have to think about that.
You've mentioned some (my mouse when South last night, so I didn't get to be
as prompt as usual. I understand the mouse has been spotted somewhere in
Cuba, which is all that it deserves). Offhand, I can't think of any. The
Byrds were VERY American while very influenced by The Beatles, too. They did
a lot more covers than The Who, and had more songwriters (and of a higher
profile, like David Crosby). The band was more traditional than The Who...at
least after YOUNGER THAN YESTERDAY. They were more overtly psycedelic than
The Who ever dreamed of being.
Don't mind me, I'm just musing...
Oh, here's a similarity! They are currently reissuing the Byrds albums
remixed and with extra cuts. Does that count?
BTW, they sound great. Really establishes the link between The Beach Boys
and The Byrds...which, now that I think about it, is another link between
The Byrds and Who.

                   Cheers                   ML