Re: WN vs QUAD

Mark Leaman, Re:

>MY GENERATION was certainly the album which had the most effect on Rock
>music. But, in my humble opinion (which is bound to be trashed by morning),
>QUAD was the album that put it all together...subjectwise, it defined Rock
>music. The music was far ahead of its time, and predicted the next 20+ years
>of Rock (it's still happening today). It was the "adulthood" of Rock looking
>back at its own origins...and defining it. Was it overblown? It might have
>seemed so at the time (not by me), but compared to what followed from other
>bands, I'd say no.
>My own experience with QUAD was as follows: The day after Xmas (when the
>record stores finally opened and I could use my certificate), me with
>headphones clamped tightly, and the new (double!!!) Who album. The sound of
>the ocean began roaring through my head (which I can relate to, since I live
>by the sea)...a lonely horn plays in the distance...the breakers crash over
>a rock..."Is it me, for a moment...for a moment...for a
>moment."...rain...and so on. (etc, etc.)

        Mark, I love what you wrote here.  I had the same feelings you did
about Quad when I first heard it, and I thought, and still think, that it
is the most beautiful album that I ever heard.  My sister was taking some
sort of psychology class at the time, and they were discussing why kids
like the bands they like, etc., and I remember her telling me that she
brought me and my fondness for Quad up in class.  She told them how much I
listened to Quad, which was constantly, (I was 13 at the time,) and since
the teacher was familiar with the album, they discussed Quad during much of
the class time.  One of the things about the album they stressed in their
discussion was the "sound effects," and how they really open up the album,
and create an atmospheric environment.  Her teacher said that I was being
hypnotized by it (!)  Which was not only an absurdly amusing comment, but
also it made the discussion turn to the subject of subliminal messages in
TV commercials and magazine ads.
        Well, I don't think I have been hypnotized, and the sounds of the
ocean, etc., weren't the only things that drew me towards Quad.  Quad is
probably the best example of how well Pete Townshend not only wrote for a
generation, but wrote for everyone from any place and time which ever had a
youth culture.  Anyone who has ever had a fight with their parents, felt
out of place, tried to "fit in," felt like nobody understands, can relate
to this album.  Many times I would have it out with my dad, run into my
room, lock the door and blast "The Real Me."  Now, Quad is still
relevent--it has grown with me over the years.  I still see the many truths
in it as I did when I was 13.  Certain things don't change.  Now I have it
out with my dad over the phone, slam the bedroom door to my own apartment,
and blast "The Real Me," but that's another story (love ya dad.)
                                                                        Stacey