It's Hard

>>I've read this before from other suscribers and it leaves me a little
perplexed.  I don't want to defend IH as a great album but it has  always
seemed to me to hang on a very tight thematic link (with the exception of
"Athena" and "One At a Time," and cases could be made, although I think it
would be stretching it).

>>It's Hard is an attack on macho attitudes.  At times it almost sounds  like
a Phil Donahue/Alan Alda confab, although I think The Who have more than
earned the right to say this.  Even Entwistle's 1st two songs are on this
subject (and I would say some of the most complex
writing of his career).  Pete may have gotten the idea from a request
from Roger and John for "politically correct" material or he may have

>>I've read this before from other suscribers and it leaves me a little
perplexed.  I don't want to defend IH as a great album but it has
always seemed to me to hang on a very tight thematic link (with the
exception of "Athena" and "One At a Time," and cases could be made,
although I think it would be stretching it).

>>It's Hard is an attack on macho attitudes.  At times it almost sounds
like a Phil Donahue/Alan Alda confab, although I think The Who have more than
earned the right to say this.  Even Entwistle's 1st two
songs are on this subject (and I would say some of the most complex
writing of his career).  Pete may have gotten the idea from a request
from Roger and John for "politically correct" material or he may have
been influenced by The Clash.  In any case, the material makes a  bookend to
the 1st album's macho attitudes.  Mind you, I'm not saying
it was successful (not as successful as the 1st album was), but I
don't see it in any way being a random collection of songs.

                       [] [] [][] [][] [] [][] [][] [] []
I'd also like to echo Brian's comments here on It's Hard.  While I would
never make the argument that it was among The Who's best (wouldn't even
compete for a slot in the top five), I disagree with its frequent dismissal.
 I think some of the writing is among both Pete and John's most complex and
mature.  It's the music that falls short.  Not enough aggressive electric
guitar, not enough acoustic guitar.  Kenny is just plain boring (although I
agree that his performance is an improvement over FD-but realize, he was
going through a divorce during the FD recording).  And without a "lead"
drummer to play off of, most of John's performances are fairly forgettable.
 Does it sound like I'm trashing it?  Musically, perhaps, but I think the
vocals are fantastic (both lead and backing) and I think "Cry If You Want"
and "A Man Is A Man" are among Pete's best writings.  "Cry" seems like a
direct link to "However Much I Booze" and many of the themes of Empty Glass.
 "A Man..." is the single song that has given me hope for the generally
fucked up male half of the species.  Nothing personal, guys, but you know,
the half of the species that commits 90% of the violent crimes, makes war,
etc...  (Check out Pete's discourse on this in his '85 Rockline interview).
 John's tracks while a bit disjointed in the context of the album are
consistently strong.  Even "Eminence Front" which I thought was a bit weak on
the album, kicks some serious ass on my Toronto boots.  Even "Athena" has
grown on me over the years.  So, yeah, it's not entirely cohesive.  Yeah,
it's flawed.  But if you compare it to anything other than prime Who, it
comes out smelling awfully good to me.