Behaviour

>>What a contrast these descriptions of the Supper Club audience's
reaction to the opening act are from my experience at the Fillmore.
If it is true that anyone opening for Pete should expect to be
booed off the stage, it does not speak well for the character of
Pete's fans, IMHO.

>>I guess I'm still of fan of "all that lovely hippie shit", but I
don't see what possible good can come from yelling obscenties at
the opening act.  At the Fillmore we had a pretty much forgettable
guy doing some standard blues tunes with guitar and harmonica.  Whenhe came
out a guy next to me on the front rail yells out "Hey man,how did you get
*this* gig?  This is an incredible gig!"  He thentalked about how lucky and
happy he was to have got it.  He playedhis songs, people either listened or
sat down and talked.  He finished,we applauded, he left.  Why would one want
to add negative energyand emotions to the event?  Will Pete play better
because you've been rude?

>>I've been to *a lot* of concerts in my time.  I've always found that
the whole thing is enhanced by making the experience as enjoyable as
possible for everyone around you.  If the audience is relaxed and having fun,
so will the performers.  If the opening act goes off stage feeling like the
fans gave them some respect (especially when they have been invited by Pete)
it can only help things go better.

>>So this is my "challenging posting".  I challenge you all to think about
the net affect of your actions and what you want to accomplish.

I've got to support and echo Paul's comments.  I was in the front row at all
three of the west coast shows.  While the opening acts were not what I was
there for (Who could give a shit about anyone in that setting who wasn't
Pete?), none of the three crowds had too tough a time being polite and
waiting it out.  For myself, I sat down in the front row (needed to save my
energy for Pete-been waiting in line most of the day), and attempted to carry
on my conversations without being too rude.  What do you think you gain by
being rude to someone who is already laying themselves on the line and just
doing their job?  All it does is reflect poorly upon all of us.